Friday, August 10, 2012

Who Are We Protecting? My first SFS blog entry

I have been invited to blog for Stories from School AZ, a blog devoted to stories about teaching that show how policy affects teaching practice.

My first entry is, of course, too long. However, I'm happy with it. I'm anxious to see what kind of comments it gets.

I can say from my own experiences that, next to losing a student to suicide, one of the worst feelings a teacher can have is the kick to the gut that comes when she is put in the position of being an arm of an institution, to the detriment of other important things in the classroom, like the mutual trust and respect of her students.  Makes me feel like Nurse Ratched.  Except that she is more purely personally evil.  Or does she truly think she is doing the right thing?

Is there any personal redemption in the acknowledgement of our failings?

Anyway, through a specific school story about a suicidal teen and mandatory reporting, I hope I've addressed an important topic about the need for institutions to address individuals.

Please read (and hopefully enjoy... and comment!)

Who Are We Protecting?  http://www.storiesfromschoolaz.org/2012/08/who-are-we-protecting.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your response: