Monday, February 28, 2011

Ahimsa for America #2

Again, a token effort, but a beginning...

With the help of a friend, I found some podcasts that look promising to explore meditation since I know so very little about it, but am pretty sure I would see some benefits from it:

 My Thought Coach, by Stin Hanson:  http://www.mythoughtcoach.com/
     -- Look for Meditation for Children podcast in iTunes. 
Zencast:  http://www.zencast.org/
Meditation Society of Australia:  http://meditation.org.au/
    --They have a podcast called "Children Meditate" in iTunes.

On the short drive to school in the morning, the kids and I have continued to take a moment to think calm and peaceful thoughts and then talk about them.   In fact, they have reminded me to do this on more than one occasion.  A colleague who teaches yoga says that she wouldn't recommend meditation with kids the ages of mine (5 and 8) so I have taken that into consideration and have decided that these moments of peaceful thoughts are enough for now, although I do plan on listening to the podcasts and seeing what they have to offer.  She suggested doing animal yoga poses with the kids.  I haven't had a chance to look into this... of course I know cat and cow, and downward facing dog, but that's about it!  I'll have to expand my repertoire.

1 comment:

  1. P.S. Although I haven't given up on creating a more peaceful life and home, I kind of gave up on this. Like so many other self-initiatives. I haven't given up on all of them, but yes, I did give up on this. Ah, well. O. still asks us to do our peaceful thoughts sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your response: