Monday, December 31, 2012

Blueberry Coffee Cake

Recipe a Day(ish), Winter Break 2012-13

So, you know I can't just follow a recipe.

For Christmas breakfast, I made this coffee cake, except that I made a few alterations.  This time, my experimentation worked out great.  The cake was moist and flavorful.  The almonds went fantastically with the blueberries. It did have the undesirable side effect of making the recipe more complicated, however.  Ah, well.  I'm off of work.

Here is my embellished recipe:

Crumb Topping

  • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 1/2 c. slivered almonds, toasted
Cake
  • 2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1/3 c. sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp. almond extract
  • 1 egg
  • 2.5 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda (I figured the extra lightness couldn't hurt and it would work w/ the acid of the sour cream)
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 c. frozen blueberries (I used wild blueberries and forgot to drain them... definitely don't forget!)


I left off the glaze on the original recipe, but it would have been good.
  1. Heat oven to 375°F. Grease bottom and side of 9x3-inch springform pan or 9-inch square pan with shortening or cooking spray. In small bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour and the cinnamon. Cut in butter with fork until crumbly. Set aside.
  2. In large bowl, stir together all coffee cake ingredients except blueberries; beat with spoon 30 seconds. Fold in blueberries. Spread batter in pan. Sprinkle with topping.
  3. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove side of pan.
  4. In small bowl, mix all glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over warm coffee cake.
Makes 9 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your response: