Friday, November 11, 2011

Swinging



Swinging with my Daughter

I give her a small push
seat myself in the swing next to her
pump my legs two or three times
then hold my legs in front, swinging, watching her.
She pulls and pumps.

Me in my windbreaker and work pants
She in knit pants, snags in the knees
    her unzipped sweatshirt hanging from her shoulders
    her mouth orange from cheese puffs

I slow and wait
until we swing in unison

Then, as she accelerates
I pump my legs and we keep time with one another

metronome

for the melody

of this fall day

adagio

She watches my legs

up

and back

up

and back


and keeps rhythm with me.

her face parallel to mine
her satisfied smile, her two missing teeth

her dark hair flies off her forehead

and back into her face.

two strands trapped in the corners of her smile

I pull and push faster
climbing higher
toward the palms
silhouetted in  a pure blue

Lightness

Weight
Lightness

Weight

Lightness

Weight


We defy gravity

opposite one another. 

ahead, she turns to laugh

behind, I lean back
to view my topsy-turvy girl.

I slow my legs
allow the earth its pull.
She pumps hers...

then stops. 

We slow

arcing past each other

at odd

syncopated            
lengths

our feet trail in the sand

we hop off

I offer my hand




Photo from another lovely Himmel Park visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your response: