Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Spaghetti Squash Parmesan Casserole (Easy)

I just ate the leftovers of this -- tasty.  Whenever I cook spaghetti squash, it seems like a single squash makes too much.  Usually I serve it tossed with marinara sauce but we never make it through all the leftovers, so this made sense as a way to freeze half the squash and use it up later in a slightly different format.  I think next time I'll make the casserole and freeze that since it uses similar ingredients to how I usually serve the squash anyway.

Ingredients (approx):

  • 2 c. spaghetti squash, prepared. (Mine was frozen and thawed... I included all the juices.)
  • Handful of dried pasta (Maybe 1/2 cup?  I used some leftover egg noodles.)
  • Half a jar of tomato/basil marinara (Mine was Trader Joe's organic marinara, but I'm sure any sauce you enjoy is fine.)
  • 1 tsp. granulated garlic
  • 1 c. shredded mozzarella.
  • 1/3-1/2 c. grated parmesan (I just used the good ol' green shaker variety... but go ahead and get fancy.)


Method:

  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Spread spaghetti squash in bottom of medium casserole pan (I have a sort of 6x9 Pyrex oblong that I use). You could butter or spray the pan first.  I don't think I did.
  • Place individual dry noodles throughout the casserole.  Press them into the squash to soak up juices. (I did this because my squash looked really watery.  If yours if pretty dry, this might not work out.)
  • Sprinkle granulated garlic around the squash.  Salt and pepper the squash to taste.
  • Pour the marinara over the squash.  Spread around fairly evenly.
  • Sprinkle the mozarella over the sauce.
  • Sprinkle the parmesan over that.
  • Cover with foil and bake until really bubbly.  Mine looked pretty sloppy/juicy.
  • Remove foil.  Bake until cheese looks a little toasty/ yummy.
  • Maybe 30 minutes total in the oven (?)
The casserole sort of congealed as it cooled a little.  It cut into portions with somewhat the consistency of lasagna.  

This dish was hearty enough for a lunch entree or a light dinner.  I enjoyed it more than my kids, but we all ate it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your response: